Although larger and more expensive than similar lenses, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens is a perfectly servicable lens suited for art applications and shooting scenarios where more manual precision may be required. At the time of its release, it was considered one of the better auto-focus 50mm prime lenses on the market.
This lens produces great images with refined sharpness, minimal abnormalities and very little distortion. It’s also great to use if shooting out of focus backgrounds, thanks to the elements that work hard in its camera. Its multifaceted lens elements help it output content most expect of Sigma lenses.
Features At A Glance
- Compatible with Canon EF cameras
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- Measures 3.36 inches by 3.93 inches, weighs 1.79 pounds
- One Molded Glass + Three Special Low Dispersion Aspherical Elements
- Compatible with 35mm and Full-Frame Digital Sensor formats
- Focal Length: 50 mm
- Refined Auto-Focus allows more accurate auto-focus
- Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces glare and ghosting
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens is compatible with Canon EF cameras. This standard length lens is specifically designed for high optical performance by utilizing its refined components.
The lens possesses a large 85.4mm diameter with a floating system that helps correct vignetting, ensuring peripheral brightness is maintained within images.
This Sigma lens is constructed using Thermally Stable Composite material and traditional metal, affording this lens better precision and versatility in all sorts of temperatures.
Its 9-blade circular diaphragm helps the camera produce great-looking out of focus images.
Lens includes a brass bayonet mount for better accuracy and durability.
Four elements comprise this lens’ image refinement system – one molded glass aspherical element and three Special Low Dispersion glass elements. All components help reduce the appearance of sagittal coma flare and chromatic abnormalities, producing high quality image quality and sharpness as a result.
Lens elements have been treated with a Super Multi Coating, which helps reduce glare and ghosting, producing better high quality color fidelity and contrast.
The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Hyper Sonic AF Motor features a highly optimized Auto-Focus algorithm. As a result, the lens produces a smooth, fast and silent auto-focus performance. AF Motor also features a full time manual focus control for fine precision through turning the lens’ focus ring when needed.
Fully compatible with optional Sigma USB Dock to fine tune lens characteristics and also updating its firmware.
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens is specifically designed for high optical performance by utilizing its refined components. Best suited for shooting art-related scenarios, due to its optical performance.
- One molded glass aspherical element and three Special Low Dispersion glass elements do a lot of the lifting work in producing high quality images, along with the lens’ other essentials. They help reduce image abnormalities and produce high quality image quality and sharpness as a result.
- Large 85.4mm diameter lens with floating system maintains peripheral brightness within images.
- Thermally Stable Composite material and traditional metal affords this lens better precision and versatility in all sorts of temperatures.
- The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Hyper Sonic AF Motor produces a smooth, fast and silent auto-focus performance. AF Motor also features a full time manual focus control allow for fine precision.
- The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens doesn’t have finely tuned image stabilization when compared to competitors. Chromatic abnormalities may crop up in images at certain settings.
- The lens isn’t reinforced against the elements like competitors, so it may be tricky to use in different environments.
- This Sigma lens is heavier and more expensive than similar lens of its class.
Why Should You Buy Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon EF?
The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens is a great lens for certain applications, most notably art-related applications. It’s not, however, the best lens for situations where a lot of dust or moisture may be, since it’s not weatherproof. Users of full frame cameras will enjoy this lens simply because it possesses a decent aperture range that outputs very sharp images. For its price, it’s a great alternative to similar cameras of its class.