A good zoom lens can be a bit hard to find… but not if you’re looking for a Canon lens like this one. The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens gets a bit tricky with distortion at certain shooting thresholds, but it ultimately produces great quality images with its rather fantastic zoom range.
The lens maintains a constant f/2.8 aperture when used through its zoom range. As for performance, the experts agree that it puts on a great optical performance and pairs well with full-frame Canon camera bodies.
Features At A Glance
- F Mount L-Series Lens
- Aperture Range: constant f/2.8 maximum aperture
- Measures 4.4 inches by 3.5 inches, weighs 1.8 pounds
- Ultrasonic Focus Motor
- Aspherical, Super UD and UD Elements
- Compatible with 35mm and Full-Frame Digital Sensor formats
- Focal Length: 24 mm to 70 mm
- One Shot AF mode allows more accurate auto-focus
- Reinforced against the elements, fingerprints and smearing
The lens has a build well suited for high quality image output and protects against several elements. Lens measures 4.4 inches by 3.5 inches, weighs 1.8 pounds and outputs high definition images. Front element requires 82mm filters.
Its constructed with reinforced water resistance and dust sealing. The fluorine lens coating on both rear and front lens prevents excessive fingerprint buildup and smearing.
Newer optical design enables the lens to output high quality images, utilizing a Super UD lens elements and two UD lens elements to help reduce chromatic aberration in the lens’ wide angle outer area. This setup also reduces color blurring around edges and helps the camera output better looking images at a high resolution and contrast.
Its 9-blade circular diaphragm helps the camera produce great-looking subtle backgrounds.
Compact and resilient design makes it a suitable lens for packing away and taking on a trip.
Fast auto-focusing makes using this with a great camera body more precise – auto-focus utilizes optimized algorithms, ring USM and a high speed CPU.
One Shot AF mode allows more accurate auto-focus in all modes; also features a manual focus override.
Zoom lock level keeps zoom position locked for safer transport.
Aperture L-Series lens uses constant f/2.8 maximum aperture to effectively output images, especially those in low light and with a shallow depth of field.
- The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens provides sharp-looking images at all zoom ranges.
- The lens has constant f/2.8 aperture throughout its entire zoom range.
- The design of the lens is relatively compact and can be carried anywhere on the go.
- The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens isn’t as stabilized as competitors.
- Sometimes, this lens produces distortion in images if you set the camera at certain settings. For example, shooting at 24mm produces a slight amount of distortion, as well as shooting at 50 and 70mm.
- The lens uses a telescoping design, which isn’t preferred by some experts.
Why Should You Buy Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens?
If you’re looking for a relatively good walk-around lens and don’t mind the price, this lens may be what you’re looking to buy. A good and inexpensive alternative to this lens is its f/4 counterpart, the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM.