As an upgrade from its predecessor, the Canon EOS 7D Mark II blazes past quite a few competitors by offering some of the fastest fps and auto-focus for its price. In fact, the camera forgoes increased shooting resolution to focus on speed, allowing photographers of any experience level to capture anything they desire—especially fast paced action.
If you’re looking for a camera that keeps up with your subjects, this is it. You might find yourself using this camera in ‘special situations,’ such as those requiring more power to keep up with the action. That makes it a rather situational camera, since it does lack amenities that most casual users recognize in DSLRs nowadays.
The lack of amenities may make this camera a bit difficult for complete beginners to use. Experienced users, however, will get a camera that has the power to keep up with literally anything.
Key Features: A ‘blazing fast’ auto-focus system. Shoots 10 frames per second. Weatherproof and built exceptionally tough in order to withstand most scenarios.
Features At A Glance
- 20.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors
- 3.0″ 1.04m-Dot Clear View II LCD Monitor
- Full HD 1080p/60 Video & Movie Servo AF
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Live View
- 65-Point All Cross-Type Phase-Detect AF
- Native ISO 16000, Extended to ISO 51200
- 10 fps Shooting at Full Resolution
- Built-In GPS Receiver & Digital Compass
- Magnesium Alloy Body Construction
- The Canon EOS 7D Mark II has a fast auto-focus and also continuously shoots 10 frames per second. Its FPS makes for a good camera for capturing fast paced or spontaneous action, such as what’s found in sports or wildlife.
- The camera also has great build quality and can withstand most conditions. Its chassis also has remarkable weather sealing, making a perfect outdoorsy DSLR camera.
- Face Detection mode actually detect faces ‘very accurately.’
- The Canon EOS 7D Mark II produces great image quality with a high ISO range. Video quality is 1080p at 60 frames per second.
- Dual-Pixel AF outputs smooth focus for 1080p 60 fps video footage, allowing users to essentially shoot video ‘like a camcorder.’ Its high ISO range also produces finely detailed photos and video.
- The Canon EOS 7D Mark II also has a 65-point cross-type Auto-Focus System, considered one of the fastest of its class.
What People Don’t Like
- The Canon EOS 7D Mark II ultimately has less dynamic range than its APS-C sensor competitors.
- Soft video doesn’t have enough detail despite smooth focus feature.
- The Canon EOS 7D Mark II’s live video shooting sometimes undergoes a prolonged screen blackout during live view shooting sessions.
- The fixed rear LCD screen isn’t a touchscreen LCD like most of its competitors.
- The camera doesn’t have integrated Wi-Fi connectivity.
- The Canon EOS 7D Mark II’s SLR-based design features a viewfinder that doesn’t show images or video as they would be captured.
Why Should You Buy Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only)?
Some would balk at the idea of getting an entirely new camera to shoot different scenarios, but most camera enthusiasts, professionals and interested beginners know the deal by now. The Canon EOS 7D Mark II is a great camera to get if you’re looking to shoot faster paced scenarios like sports or spontaneous wildlife.
The camera’s features make it rather situational for shooting fast paced action, since it’s not the most well equipped camera for casual users. Its high FPS output and accurate auto-focus sensor alone make it best suited for fast paced action.